What causes a gas furnace to stop working?
When the first cold front moves in and you switch on the heater, the last thing you expect is for cool air to blow out. If you have a gas furnace and you’re getting cold air or no heat at all, there are several possible problems that could be causing a malfunction. Whatever the problem turns out to be, when you want fast, effective gas furnace repair in Riverside, CA, you’ll receive top-notch service from Aire-Rite Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.. Call us today at (951) 336-1541 when you need repairs.
If your gas furnace stops working, the first thing to check is the thermostat, especially if you’re turning the heat on for the first time. Surprisingly, some people just forget to switch the thermostat from “cold” to “heat” and think there’s a problem. After you make sure the heat is on and the furnace is still not working, you’ll also want to check your filter. A dirty or clogged filter can actually prevent airflow and keep your furnace from working.
Other problems may include:
- Faulty pilot light or hot surface igniter: The igniter might need repair or your pilot light could be clogged.
- A malfunctioning thermostat: This could mean faulty wiring or a bad battery.
- A broken blower: The blower is not directing air to the heat exchanger.
- Strange noises: If your furnace is squeaking, rumbling, rattling, it needs to be repaired.
How do you troubleshoot a gas furnace?
If you are unsure what to do if furnace stops working, here are some tips to troubleshoot it that might save you in expensivge gas furnace repair.
- Check the thermostat’s wiring. If there is a break, the line can be spliced together and wrapped with electrical tape.
- Check the thermostat’s battery: A dead battery will cause the thermostat to revert to default settings.
- Check the front panel that covers the blower motor. If it’s not securely fastened, the furnace will not come on.
- Change out or clean your air filters. Dirt and dust prevent proper airflow. This can cause the heat exchanger to overheat and shut off. Your home will then not heat properly.
- Make sure the gas is turned on. The pipe next to the meter should have a handle on it that needs to be parallel to the pipe to indicate the gas is on.
- Flush the drain line to clear it of sediment or any mold growth. Use a mixture of bleach and water to flush the line.
How to repair furnace gas valve
The gas valve on your furnace regulates the pressure in the lines and ensures enough gas gets to your furnace to make it work properly. To repair a gas valve, you first must find the right size valve that matches the one on your furnace. With any gas furnace repair, you always have to turn the gas off to ensure everyone’s safety and avoid causing a gas leak. Use a wrench to gently remove the old valve, and then fit the new valve in its place. Once the new valve is attached, you have to make sure it’s fitted in securely, otherwise, a leak could occur. After you’ve secured the valve, turn the gas back on to make sure it’s working properly and to restore the pressure in the gas line.
Furnace gas leak repair
A faulty gas valve is often the cause of furnace gas leaks. You’ll normally be able to detect a gas leak because you’ll smell gas. Once you’ve determined you have a gas leak, it’s recommended that you not try to repair the leak yourself. Leave the repair to qualified professionals like those at Aire-Rite Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.. You’ll want to get out of the house as quickly as possible after opening your doors and windows, and then call the gas company to report the leak. Stay out of the home until the gas leak is repaired.
Does a gas furnace have a reset button?
Gas furnaces have a reset button on them as a safety feature. The reset button may need to be switched on following a gas furnace repair. The furnace also might have to be reset if it’s shut down when the blower’s become too hot and the relay switch has shut it down to avoid tripping the circuit breaker. The reset button is located in the blower motor compartment. It’s usually a red or yellow button on the side of the blower motor or at the back of the motor housing.
How many years does a gas furnace last?
Gas furnaces typically last anywhere from 15 to 20 years. Of course, just because a furnace has reached this age doesn’t mean it needs to be replaced immediately. If you’ve kept it maintained, it might last longer. Have an HVAC professional come out and inspect the furnace to see if it has any major issues. The professional will be able to assess when the furnace needs to be replaced.
Gas furnace repair or replacement
Although gas furnaces can last 15 years or more, you don’t necessarily have to replace it because it’s old, even if it needs a few repairs. If your repairs start to cost you more than a new unit would, then it’s best to replace your old system. Likewise, if there are any safety issues or concerns, replacement is the best option.
Gas furnace repair near me
If your furnace has stopped heating and you need reliable gas furnace repair in Riverside, CA, you can always count on the trusted professionals at Aire-Rite Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.. We offer a wide range of highly affordable repair options. Give us a call today at (951) 336-1541 to find out more.